Thursday, May 15, 2008

SAKURAN - "Moulin Rouge" movie of Japan

Hi all,

I just finished watching a Japanese DVD "SAKURAN" at 3 plus am... so here I am writing something on it, hoping that my dear friends would be able to appreciate one more great movie...





Plot:
Follows Kiyoha, a rebellious, powerhouse courtesan on the rise in 18th century Edo's pleasure quarter. Living in the lustrous world of Yoshiwara, she was determined to stand on her own two feet and live life as she pleased. Choosy about her customers, and both boon and headache to her employers, Kiyoha wants to find her freedom.

Why I like it:
- really not your typical geisha or samurai movie. Totally break my expectation
- This film is inspired by a manga, so the style is really manga-like
- music is great. Altho the setting is in ancient Japan, the music is contemporary and really suits the mood
- color is rich, cinematography is great
- altho content is not so deep, but it is good enough to sustain my interest. Got some comical points. Not boring!
- actress Anna Tsuchiya suits the role. Exotic & exciting to watch her acting
- Ending is not so typical. scenery is especially beautiful.

I would like to thank Yuko-san for recommending such a great movie to me!

You can watch the trailer here

No comments: