Saturday, August 9, 2008

summer matsuri !!!

When I was in Singapore, I never really understand why people in Japan love summer so much. They will have all kinds of summer celebrations (in nihon-go is called natsu matsuri), people will eat, drink beer, wear yukata, watch fireworks etc. To me, summer is just like Singapore. Hot, Hot, hot, so what's so fun about celebrating hot weather?


Well, in Japan, I finally appreciate the fun part. There is a whole cultural background about summer celebration in Japan. People essentially just let themselves loose. You can just act plain silly, wear nice nice yukata or just dive into sea for fun ... basically you have the licence to enjoy yourselves thoroughly. What is more fun is almost every small "machi/cho" (like our jurong or clementi GRC) celebrate natsu matsuri!! So the whole island is like pleasure island! If you miss this matsuri here, you can go to the next area next week. They really have fun seriously!

Can you imagine Jurong having their own matsuri and Bedok also has their own celebrations? really hard to imagine ... sounds "siao" (crazy) to me.


We always boast sg is the bridge between East and West. Sg is so modern, better than XXX country. But I think our Chinese celebrations (like CNY, Mid-autum etc) lack of something ... it is always too commercial, no characteristic, no flavor, too touristy to earn tourists' money. Although we Chinese have our traditional wear, but we really really seldom/ never wear them. Maybe I am biased, I dun feel that connected to the Chinese festivals in Singapore...


In Okinawa, the matsuri is simple and nice!


BBQ summer buffet in Naha hotel



Japanese ladies really look fantastic in yukata! I feel honored to know them!

1st time I actually operate the beer handle!

Inside a friend's pub. Nice! Can sing Chinese songs inside, haha


Mihama matsuri



好幸福哟!when is my turn?

黑人也穿浴衣!有趣!不过,无意中拍到他的女友吃相不佳的镜头,呵呵

最佳情侣装!
冲绳岛还真小,我日语老师说这两位是他的朋友。

鬼呀!

mum wearing nice yukata. kodomo also kawaii!


more yukata!!




sorry , I do not know how to turn this video upright. anyway, you can watch the nice fireworks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

太棒了!我真的想来了!

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice entry. Can really feel the fun of summer through your descriptions =)

Anonymous said...

Hi dennis!!

it very nice to seem You realy have fan in summer maturi!!

and I think you don't need that power drinks yet.you are not old!!!

Anonymous said...

突然很羡慕你在那里的生活......
工作得有点累了,如果有机会能到你之前提到那些美美的cafe坐坐、喝喝咖啡,那该多好!

Dennis Ng 黄少伟 said...

thank you all for the lovely comments!